iPhone 5se Leaks – Expected To Bring 4″ Display, Pricing Around $450
The Apple rumor mill has been swirling around for quite a while with the possibility that Apple would reintroduce the 4″ form factor back into their iPhone lineup. After upgrading to the current 4.7″ and 5.5″ displays, many stuck with the older iPhone 5(s) in order to retain one-handed usability. Apparently Apple has heard the cries for a smaller device and their answer appears to be the iPhone 5se.
This new 4″ device would be an “enhanced” version of the iPhone 5S from 2013 with an updated design, specs, and a new name.
The “se” suffix is assumed to mean “special edition”, seemingly confirmed by some Apple employees. 9to5Mac cites sources claiming that the following will be upgraded in this new device.
- The chamfered, shiny edges have been replaced with curved glass like on the iPhone 6 and 6s lines
- The same 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.2 megapixel front camera systems from the iPhone 6
- Support for larger panoramas and autofocus for video recording
- Barometer for tracking elevation in the Health app
- An NFC chip for Apple Pay
- The A8 and M8 chips from the iPhone 6
- Bluetooth 4.2, VoLTE, and 802.11ac WiFi chips from the iPhone 6s
- Live Photos from the iPhone 6s
- Same Silver, Space Gray, Gold, & Rose Gold color options as the 6s line
It’s likely that this device will not house a pressure sensitive display, removing the ability to use the new “3D Touch” feature introduced on the iPhone 6S.
So where does this device fit in? It’s likely that it would take over the placement and price point of the iPhone 5s meaning it would be priced at $450. If so, that makes it the least expensive iPhone launch to date.
Rumors claim that the device is already in production and that it will be officially announced sometime in March ahead of it release.Source: 9to5Mac (1) Source: 9to5Mac (2)